“Ordinary people committed to action in extraordinary times”
On the morning of November 9th, 2016, millions of Americans awoke in shock and disbelief — Donald J. Trump was our president! We knew that simply keeping up with the news and posting on social media would never be enough to resist his agenda, so a group of about 25 friends in Huntington, New York, decided to meet and discuss specific actions we could take. We gave our group a name, Long Island Network for Change (LINC). Monthly meetings were scheduled and we wrote a mission statement:
Since then, LINC membership has grown dramatically. Although we’ve accomplished much, the critical work has just begun. This year, throughout the country, thousands of grass root groups like LINC are working passionately and in coordination to elect as many progressive candidates as possible in November. That’s just one of our goals among many. Here is what we do:
- Endorse and campaign for local and national candidates whose goals coincide with LINC’s mission statement. Click here, to read the LINC Endorsement Policy.
- Advocate for relevant issues with elected officials through telephone calls (there’s a script).
- Present community forums on voting rights, upcoming elections, racism, the environment and much more.
- Initiate strategically timed letter writing and e-mail campaigns.
- Publicize and distribute up-to-the-minute action alerts.
- Attend and speak up at town hall meetings, rallies, and demonstrations.
- Meet monthly to strategize and take action.
LINC is an active social action group: We march, we call, we write, we meet. Everyone is invited to our meetings. We welcome new members. If you have read this far, we hope you have decided to join us. We need your energy, enthusiasm and ideas.
LINC is a member group of the Indivisible Project ( www.indivisible.org ).
Check out our Web site regularly. Join us at our events. Come to our LINC meetings. But most important of all, we all must stay active, my friends.
As always, please do not forget, if you are interested in participating in The Rapid Response Network in Huntington, please call The Huntington Rapid Response Network at 516-387-2043 to see how you can get involved. There are many opportunities — Distributing Know Your Rights information, Accompanying people to court, community witnessing, and taking calls for their hotline, to name just a few.
LINC Meetings & Events
DAY of ACTION
(with Huntington Democrats)
10:30 AM Saturday Oct 16
1870 Jericho Turnpike (Maddaloni Shopping Plaza)
(bagels and coffee, then heading
out for canvassing or phone banking)
Click here to REGISTER
Contact LINC by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
To join our Facebook Group,
click LINC Facebook Group